The homepage is the most important page of your website. It’s the virtual shop front, it’s the first impression, it’s your initial handshake and you only have seconds to grab your customer’s attention.
Here are some useful tips for creating a website:
- Branding – branding is your name, sign, symbol, slogan, words or design, or a combination of these elements that identify your products or services. Make sure your brand is consistent across all online and printed material.
- Contact information – make sure your customers can get in touch with you easily and they don’t have to search for your contact details or location.
- Site Search Function – ensure you have a good search function
- Call to action – is an image or text that prompts your user to take some form of action. What do you want users at your site to do? Place an order, subscribe to a newsletter, register for an event or request a quote? Make sure this is clearly visible.
- Site navigation – ensure your site is clear and simple to navigate around. Don’t have too much detail on the homepage.
- Images – images or pictures can make your site more attractive to your audience and enhance user experience. But don’t use images just to fill space, make them relevant.
- Typography – is the visual component of the written word. Use consistent fonts to your other marketing material so your brand is easily recognised.
- Content – ensure your content is easy to read and direct. Use short paragraphs. Keep the important content near the top of the page.
You only get one chance at a first impression so make it count!