In recent times, the Sunshine Coast has become a hive of activity. The amount of building cranes in the air has not been seen here since the 1980’s.
Are you aware of what’s actually happening around the coast and the opportunities this may present for your business?
Economic Development Opportunities on the Sunshine Coast
- The Maroochydore CBD (Old Horton park golf course) is going to be developed over the next 20 years. There is going to be residential, commercial and retail developments.
- The new Kawana hospital after much anticipation is finally here and opening in April 2017, it’s estimated that over 3,500 jobs will be created by the hospital.
- Development projects which will keep the building industry busy
- Caloundra South (Aura) 2,300 plus hectares (20,000 homes over 30 years)
- Palmview Housing development
- The Hedge residential apartment project at Buddina ($55 million)
- Ocean Verge Apartments Caloundra (40 apartments)
- Cruise Ship the Seabourn Encore will make its maiden stop at the Mooloolaba on January 31.
- New Sporting Facility at Lake Kawana (near the Sunshine Coast Stadium)
- New runway and expansion at the Sunshine coast airport will allow more flights to come to the coast and there are plans to welcome direct flights from Asia and the Pacific.
- In the retail space you can expect the following
- David Jones to open at Sunshine Plaza
- Kawana Shopping world is also expanding with new stores and a new cinema.
- Bli Bli is getting in on the action with Bli Bli Village Central, which will bring new retail stores and a tavern.
These are just some of the major projects across the coast there are many smaller developments that will also bring with them jobs and business opportunities.
Opportunities for Local Business
All of these developments combined provide an amazing opportunity for the services industry and construction industry. We have already seen the unemployment rate on the coast drop from 7.30% in March 2015 to 4.72% in September 2016, and this may drop even further. This drop can only bring prosperity to the coast and its business.
Is your business positioned to take advantage of these developments? If you are not involved in the industries directly affected, have you thought of how you may benefit from the flow on of the increase in activity. For example, if you are a bookkeeper the increase in business activity will lead to an increase in people requiring assistance.
At present it is really evident that the local Sunshine Coast business community is optimistic about the future.