To develop the strategy the Sunshine Coast Regional Council involved various business groups and key stakeholders on the Sunshine Coast. The strategy has four clear goals:
- Growth of the economy to $33 Billion (this is triple the current size)
- 100,000 new jobs in high value industries (this is almost double what we have)
- 20% of goods and services produced for export (likewise this is almost double)
- Household incomes to exceed the average household income level for Queensland (currently we are 22.3% below)
But what does this mean for average Sunshine Coast business owners?
From our perspective the key is implementation and collaboration. This means as a business community we need to work with the Sunshine Coast Regional Council on what they are implementing, as well as provide constructive feedback if there are challenges impeding any Sunshine Coast business.
With the key industries identified as major contributors to growth there is bound to be opportunities for these business sectors:
- Health and well being
- Education and research
- Tourism, sport and leisure
- Knowledge industries and professional services
- Aviation and aerospace
- Clean Technologies
However, it is our belief as business accountants, that even if you are not in these sectors the flow on affect will be substantial.
The key tips for Sunshine Coast business owners now is to:
- Keep informed as to what is happening in the economy so you are abreast of changes that are coming.
- Look at changes and what opportunities may be available for your Sunshine Coast business