Save yourself some cash by ensuring you are claiming all that you entitled to on your tax return each year. Here are a few surprising items that many people wouldn’t think to claim on their return:
1. Fitness expenses are deductible if you are required to maintain a high level of physical fitness in your job, for example a police officer involved in strenuous duties.
2. Newspapers and magazines are tax deductible to the extent that the cost forms part of the research directly related to a person’s job, for example a journalist researching a specific field.
3. First Aid Qualifications if you are the designated first aid person or required to undertake first aid training to assist in emergency situations.
4. Luggage can be claimed as a deduction if you work in an industry, such as an airline, where you have to travel.
5. Licences if you require a specific licence for your work, such as a Gaming Licence, a deduction is allowable for renewing the licence, but not obtaining the initial licence.