With the start of the New Year it’s a great opportunity to take the time and set some goals on what you would like to achieve in 2018.
A few things to consider when setting some SMART goals:
- Specific: be clear about what you want to achieve
- Measurable: make sure you can measure the goal so you can recognise when it’s achieved
- Achievable: ensure the goal is achievable, as unrealistic goals can dampen motivation.
- Relevant: ensure goal is in the right direction for your business
- Timely: set a realistic deadline.
Example: I will gain five new clients for my business in the next three months – as this will fill my current available/free time. This will allow me to grow my business and increase revenue.
Achieving Your Goals
Once you have your goals listed, the next step is figuring out how to achieve them. You may need to prioritise the list and break each goal down into smaller manageable chunks. This will help give you direction and set the ball rolling.
How do you know if you’ve achieved your goals?
Put a system in place to help measure the goals and keep you on track. It can be as simple as ticking off a completed task from a list or a more complex spreadsheet to monitor the progress.
And don’t forget to reward yourself and your team for achieving the goals!