The ATO has recently implemented various changes to the way they process ATO Mail. The new system will allow delivery of ATO correspondence to be sent out digitally and most importantly securely.
The team at MJJ Accounting are currently implementing a new method of digital communication via ‘ATO SmartDocs’. We will shortly begin using this platform to transmit ATO correspondence that we receive on your behalf, directly to your inbox. This improved method has been designed not only as risk management but to keep up with the requirements of our ever growing digital universe.
The Benefits of this are:
- The SmartDocs mailing system will enable the distribution of your mail to be faster and more effective than the traditional paper mail.
- The system is designed to be more secure so that the sensitive information the mail contains never falls into the wrong hands.
- Another key benefit is that it is better for the environment as no ink, envelope, stamps, fuel, or paper will be used.
- The ATO now uses six different methods to deliver mail to taxpayers. One of these is delivery through myGov which poses problems for many clients that might not realise the document has been delivered and may miss an important lodgement or payment deadline. By using the new system it is more reliable and will ensure important correspondence is not missed.
Some frequently asked questions:
Can I still receive paper correspondence?
- We encourage you to give our digital system a go for the reasons above, but we still understand that some people are not ready or able to use digital systems. Just let us know if you prefer paper.
Why have I received an SMS but no email?
- Our system will only send mail digitally if we have a valid email and mobile number for you. Check your junk mail for the email, otherwise contact our office to confirm your details.
Why have I received an email but no SMS?
- Our system will only send mail digitally if we have a valid email and mobile number for you. This could mean that the SMS has gone to an old or incorrect mobile number, but the code in the link is of no use without access to the email. Please contact our office to confirm your details.
I am receiving paper correspondence, how do I get digital delivery?
- If you are receiving ATO mail through traditional postage methods it means we either do not have current valid email and mobile details for you, or you have previously asked us to stay with paper. Please contact us to update your details or preferences.
In the coming weeks we will send out an introductory email with further instructions on how we will use this more effective way of ATO communication.